Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Making a Sundress from Valspierssews 18" Underwear No.2 Pattern

My Underwear No.2 design for 18" dolls is perfect for a sundress. Here is how I did the straps on mine.


I cut a piece of dress fabric 1 1/4" wide and about 14" long or enough for two straps.

I then folded over the long sides to the middle and pressed them.

Then I overlocked down both long sides.



Next, I top stitched 1/8" from the fold down both sides.


I made the strap this way because I didn't want it to be too thick. You could use the usual double fold handle or strap method with a 2" wide piece of fabric.

When I made my dress I overlocked the top edge too soon.
Next time I will cut the straps 5 1/2" long and pin the raw edge level with the top of the dress.
The straps will be overlocked onto the dress and have a finished end.
You pin them on the same as I did mine but I had to turn under the ends of the straps.

Because I wanted to fold the ends of the straps over twice I cut them 6 1/2" long. The ribbon on the petticoat I only folded over once. (The actual length of the strap is 5" then you have to add whatever allowance you want for sewing them on).



I pinned the folded end of the strap, right sides together to the overlocked edge of the dress over the side front seam and basted it in place.


I then pinned them to the back edge. Make sure you don't twist then straps. You can see how they would have been overlocked in place if I had overlocked the top edge now.


Fold over the 1/4" hem allowance for the top edge and top stitch all the way around the same as for the petticoat. Make sure the straps are well out of the way.

I might try overlocking the ribbon straps on too but the ribbon may be a bit flimsy and not be held by the overlocking as securely as turning under the end and straight stitching.

 

You could make it for your Australian Girl Doll as well. It is a fraction short but some trim around the hem edge should make it perfect.
You can find the pattern in my Etsy Shop. 

It is Underwear No.2 Petticoat and Bloomers.

Happy Sewing,
Val